Friday 4 February 2011

Rock Cakes & Hot Chocolate

When I received my delicious box of treats from Hotel Chocolat last year they also included a jar of their Liquid Chocolat drinking chocolate.
Not surprisingly I have thoroughly enjoying putting this to the test over the last few months. I was sent the Classic Milky version which has lovely rich, but not overly sweet, chocolatey flavour. Dark Chocolate fans might prefer the Classic Dark version, or, if you have a sweeter tooth, the Caramel might be the one for you. This has done a great job of warming me up through this chilly grey winter served, as you can see below, with the obligatory squirty cream and marshmallows.


I've served it here with one of my favourite afternoon teatime treats - the humble rock cake. If I fancy something quick and easy to rustle up I often turn to these, using a recipe from my old reliable Dairy Book of Home Cookery.


I'm not so fond of the traditional raisiny recipe and more often than not substitute them with the more indulgent chocolate chips.

Rock Cakes
(adapted from The Dairy Book of Home Cookery)

225g/8oz self raising flour
100g/4oz butter
75g/3oz caster sugar
100g/4oz mixed dried fruit
1 egg, beaten
10-20ml/2-4 tsp milk

1) Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/gas mark 6. Grease or line a baking sheet.

2) Sift the flour into a bowl and rub the butter into it until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

3) Add the sugar and fruit (or chocolate chips) then mix to a stiff batter with the beaten egg and milk.

4) Place 10 spoonfuls of mixture, in rocky mounds, on the baking sheet, allowing room between each one as they spread slightly).

5) Bake for 15-20 minutes then cool on a wire cooling rack.


Thanks again to Hotel Chocolat for supplying me with these lovely samples to try out.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, looks lovely.

    I got sent some Gingerbread Liquid Hot Chocolate before Christmas. (Not from Hotel Chocolat - even though I spend 50% of montly wages in their store they still never send me freebies. I won't hold it against them ;-) ) Due to the flu over the festive period I've still not tried it! Perhaps a cold, blustery day like today is the perfect opportunity!

    ReplyDelete