(by David Oppedisano writing in Good Food Magazine)
2 large egg whites
120g (4 1/2 oz) golden caster sugar
120g (4 1/2 oz) pecan nuts, roughly chopped
150g (5oz) dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Line two baking sheets with foil.
2) In a large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff and dry. Gradually whisk in the sugar to make a thick and glossy meringue. Gently fold in the nuts, chocolate and vanilla.
3) Spoon heaped teaspoonfuls on to the baking sheets. These don't tend to spread a great deal so you don't need to leave huge gaps.
4) Put the sheets in the oven, then turn it off and leave the cookies for at least 3 hours, overnight, or until the oven is cold.
5) Carefully peel the cookies from the foil and store in an airtight container.