Thursday 26 May 2011

Crustless Pizza


I've been meaning to try out this recipe ever since I received Nigella's newest book, Kitchen, at Christmas. I think the simplicity of it appealed to me most, as is so often the case, and on that score it certainly didn't let me down. Taste-wise, though, it got a bit of a mixed reaction as I quite liked it but my other half wasn't so sure. Ultimately it's just like the squishy bit you often find in the middle of a yorkshire pudding, so quite plain and in need of help from other ingredients to add flavour and make it more interesting. I used regular cheddar but next time I think I'll use a really strong one. The chorizo, of course, adds it's own flavour, but as Nigella suggests you can add anything else that takes your fancy - ham or sweetcorn or maybe some sliced tomatoes.

So I didn't love it but I didn't hate it either. It was nice and filling (the whole thing served two of us, with a side salad, without us feeling like we were being greedy) and the overall lack of effort required to throw it together means that I'll almost certainly make it again.

If you try it I'd love to hear what you think.

Crustless Pizza
(adapted from Kitchen by Nigella Lawson)

1 egg
100g plain flour
sea salt flakes or pouring salt to taste
250ml full fat milk
butter for greasing
100g grated cheddar cheese
50g small chorizo or pepperoni slices (optional)

1 x round ovenproof pie dish, approx 20cm diameter

1) Preheat the oven to 200c/gas mark 6. Beat the egg with the flour, salt and milk to make a smooth batter.

2) Grease the pie dish then stir half the grated cheese into the batter, before pouring it into the dish.

3) Bake for 30 minutes. Take the dish out of the oven, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and add the chorizo or pepperoni (if using) - or anything else - now, too. Return to the oven and cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.

4) Once the cheese top is melted and looks burnished gold on the crustless pizza, take it out of the oven and serve cut into slices.

Serves 2-4 depending on age and appetite.

3 comments:

  1. I made it a while back and we both loved it, though added cherry tomatoes instead of the meat, can highly recommend if you make again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you'll make it again! It was on my list too. Nigella is always a winner

    ReplyDelete
  3. LIke the idea of this - I sometimes find pizza too bloating because of the crust

    ReplyDelete