Thursday 29 July 2010

Lime Curd

This post is the precurser to my next one as this is the filling for a most excellent cake. If you think that making your own lime or lemon curd is a task reserved only for the most dedicated cook then please think again. This recipe could not be simpler and produces something that can only be described as divine.


It helps if, like me, you love limes. I adore the smell of limes and in this recipe they add the most delicious fragrance and the perfect sharpness against the background of butter, sugar and eggs. If you make anything this year then please make this!

Lime Curd
(adapted from How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson)

75g unsalted butter
3 large eggs
75g caster sugar
125ml lime juice (of approximately 4 limes)
zest of 1 lime
1 x 350ml jar (sterilised by washing thoroughly and drying out in an oven heated to 140c)

1) Melt the butter in a heavy-based saucepan

2) Add all of the other ingredients and whisk to a custard over a gentle heat (this took me 10-15 minutes. Bear in mind that it will thicken further as it cools)

3) Let it cool before filling a jar (or a cake) with it. Keep in the fridge.

See - easy as pie!

4 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful...I can't wait to see the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word. I will 100% be trying this, I love lemon curd and I love limes so this is going to be amazing.

    It will be eaten straight out of the jar with a spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh I love a new recipe for curd anything... I made rhubarb curd back in may and it was a great success and made ice cream with it... perhaps a lime curd ice cream would be good too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, I must make this. I love limes and bet this is delicious. I think I said this last time I saw lime curd on someone's blog, but you are right and I must make a note.

    ReplyDelete